During the month of June, I’ll be participating in the Whole30 Program.
Day 11: Wednesday, June 11
- Breakfast: Roasted broccoli.
- Lunch: Lemon basil chicken. Power greens with balsamic tomatoes.
- Dinner: Panch phoron roast. Mixed greens. Brococli with cashew cream.
- Exercise: Turbofire “Abs 10” and “Stretch 40.”
My digestive system is growing regular again — yay! I think I can safely chalk that up to cutting down on my fruit intake. I’m also beginning to feel slightly more normal, although my workouts still aren’t up to par. I should also note that my exercise regimen has been cardio-only lately. It’s sorely needed, as I have been skipping rest days in order to complete the program by vacation time. I do feel that I’ve been losing strength and muscle, though, and am eager to hit the weights and see results faster.
Day 12: Thursday, June 12
- Breakfast: Two egg whites. One hard-boiled egg.
- Lunch at B Star: Tea leaf salad (no lentils or peanuts). Calamari salad.
- Dinner: Panch phoron roast. Wilted greens. Carrots.
- Exercise: Turbofire “Fire 45 EZ” and “Stretch 10.”
Today, my supervisor took our team out for a celebratory lunch. I told everyone I was on an elimination diet, to which they were incredibly sensitive (how lucky am I to have such kind coworkers?). All the same, it was a bother trying to figure out what appetizers we could share and what dish I could order. I’m essentially limited to minimally prepped salads, due to the dangers of using noncompliant cooking oils, sauces, and seasonings. Ultimately, it wasn’t too bad; I was able to try a new dish at one of my very favorite restaurants.
Day 13: Friday, June 13
- Breakfast: Three egg whites. One hard-boiled egg.
- Lunch: Lemon-basil chicken. Power greens and grape tomatoes. Almonds.
- Dinner at Ariake: Sashimi combo.
- Snack: Alive & Radiant kale chips. Coconut butter and cocoa powder. Cashews.
- Exercise: Turbofire “Stretch 40.”
The snack bug is back. Since I can’t have sugar, I’ve been turning instead to “healthy” fats in the form of dry roasted nuts and coconut.
Day 14: Saturday, June 14
- Breakfast: none
- Lunch: Lemon-basil chicken and Cajun sausage. Spring mix. Broccoli with cashew cream.
- Dinner: none
- Snack: Kale chips.
- Exercise: Turbofire “Fire 45” and “Stretch 10.”
So, you know how I had a problem with snacking on kale chips and nuts? Yup, that’s over… and all it took was a wild case of food poisoning. I spent the better part of five hours hunched over the toilet and/or laying prostrate in bed. What’s worse — I had really been excited about developing recipes using cashew cream, having made spiced vegetable dips and a cheesy vegan flavoring for kale chips. I tasted all of that (and more) the evening onward, unable to keep even water down. It was a bad, bad time, my friends. Lesson learned: never buy discounted, bagged, and/or dirty produce.
Day 15: Sunday, June 15
- Breakfast: Chicken broth with onions and eggs. Kombucha.
- Lunch: Plantain chips. Roasted seaweed.
- Dinner: Chicken broth with onions and eggs.
- Snack: 1/4 of an orange.
- Exercise: Chalean Extreme “Lean 1” and “Abs 10.”
I was determined to stick to the Whole30, even post-food poisoning. I’d read about the “BRAT” diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) — which, clearly, wasn’t going to work for me. Instead, I had loads of chicken broth — about two quarts’ worth! — with eggs mixed in. I was also sure to have some salty snacks to restore electrolytes… but then realized that the sodium content in the boxed broth I used was more than sufficient. I think I may have had a tad too much, but at least my stomach is handling it all well.
Day 16: Monday, June 16
- Breakfast: Two hard-boiled eggs.
- Lunch: Chicken broth and eggs.
- Dinner: Plantain chips. Hard-boiled egg.
- Snack: Kombucha.
- Exercise: Turbofire “Fire 60” and “Stretch 10.”
I’m feeling much better, but am still trying to take it easy. By “easy,” I mean eating what my body craved… which turned out to be nearly an entire bag of plantain chips. I’ll justify it by saying that it was a substitute for bananas.
Day 17: Tuesday, June 17
- Breakfast: Hard-boiled egg. Egg white.
- Lunch: Chicken broth, green beans and eggs.
- Dinner: Seafood tomato stew. Sauteed collard greens.
- Snack: Kombucha.
- Exercise: Chalean Extreme “Lean 2” and “Extreme Abs.”
Despite my body’s state of upheaval, I’ve still been committing to my exercise regimen. Today was the second day of my new stage in weight-training. I’m really enjoying the resistance! Crossing my fingers that it helps get rid of some of my pudge in time for my tropical vacation (coming up in exactly one month!).
I’m also finally breaking away from my CEP (chicken broth, eggs, and plantain chips) diet. First up: seafood tomato stew! I think it’s safe to say I’m fully recovered by now, though I am still fully embracing my newfound lighter, streamlined way of eating.